Thursday, May 26, 2016

Antimalware Service Executable: High CPU Usage



Today I noticed that my 8.1 was getting very slow. I decided to take a look at Task Manager where I noticed that AntiMalware Service was using about 70-90% CPU. For some instants, the usage was full, 100%!

This guide explains how to fix this problem and is applicable to integrated Defender in 8.x and to Security Essentials in XP, Vista and 7.
By saying this you are alrdy understood AntiMalware Service Executable is a Defender/Security Essentials service, so ending this process is not recommended. Anyway, you won't be able to end it because is a integrated system process, so you probably will get access denied exception.

Why does it happen?

It's something ridiculous. I will try not be ironic at all ... because I rlly want to.
In the Task Manager (pictures below are from 8.x but the process is identical in 7 and older), if you right click AntiMalware Service Executable, you can open the file loion.



The file in cause isMsMpEng.exeNow I am able to explain why is it using so much CPU (when I took the picture it was more stable, but 11% stills considerable)
TheMsMpEng.exe is the file used by Defender/Security Essentials to scan your PC files. For some ius id, that file is scanning itself. Why? Because .. Logic!I am sorry but I rlly can't explain why is that happening.
Anyway, let's jump this part of questing ourselves why, and let's fix it!
How to fix it?
Once you opened file loion, you must the coy the directory. In Explorer (8.x version), in top, click tab Home and Copy Path




Now, go to Defender or Security Essentials (srch for it on Start Menu), go to Settings <Excluded files and loions


In first box, paste the path and click AddThe path will show up on the second boxSave changesand your problem must be fixed


Lve comments or send e-mail to hyrokumata@outlook.com



No comments:

Post a Comment